Monday, October 30, 2006

The thumb

i have realised something.

that if i had to vote for the most important finger... the finger that helps me to function in everyday life... it would have to be the THUMB.
After losing the normal functionality of my right thumb on sunday (due to a freak accident that involved a basketball, a hoop and several other people) .... i cannot do alot of things.
Turn the tap, the door knob, the shower tap, use the scissors, hit someone hard, write for long periods of time.... all of these things which i previously took for granted.

i was wondering, so why is my thumb so important? I have concluded that all the other 4 fingers can put pressure in one direction, but the thumb.....the thumb is the finger that goes in the opposite direction-- which is so essential in order to pick things up, to open the door or to even maintain my sanity.

So Jack told me that only humans and apes have opposable thumbs. (means can bend lah)
and now, i'm more handicapped than the normal ordinary apes which are sitting in the rainforest. great.

it had better recover before i sit for my 40% exam on saturday.... otherwise i can get an extra half an hour or something... (yay) which i don't want to have to do... cos examination halls make me feel extremely claustrophobic and yelpy. (yes, that's the word for describing you yelping)

ok, enough about my thumb.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No working thumb? How can you SMS? hahaha ... hope it gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

What? It's that unfunctional and you still want to do a certain activity? tsk.

Mishi said...

haha... for sms-ing i would consider myself fortunately ambidexterous. so left thumb is good. that certain activity doesn't involve much of my thumb does it? hahaha. *grins*

Anonymous said...

the other activity involves using the mouth... =P

Anonymous said...

I think you might find your thumb doing alot more support work than you thought.... but, you can always try to do it one-handed. Like the guy who was doing it one footed... ha.

Mishi said...

hahah u can't do it one handed. one footed is already so unglam. haha. oh well... it's better now though. i can do all those things, but in slight pain and discomfort. =)

Pauleon said...

but but

the thumb can't be the most important finger.

cos it's not a finger in the first place. haha