Monday, April 23, 2007

On a day like today

Today is quickly becoming one of those days i wished i slept a little earlier the night before, or at least drowned myself bright and early in coffee to begin my week with. I always try to look presentable when i step out despite the fact that i wake up very close to the time (15mins??) i absolutely must leave the house by. (Some of my friends argue that is a skill, but my daddy would comment that it is more of a bad habit). My hunk of a man says it's alright if a girl doesn't comb her hair or anything, as long as you can pull it off. Today is also the day i realised that I used to wear earrings, but got sick of it after secondary school- also because we can't have watches or studs on the court. So i did wear some dangly ones at uni or on special occassions, now they've just become unique display items in a nifty box. It's also a 'girl phenomenon' to want to look nice now and then, so guys: do compliment the females in our zone. It's the gentlemanly and right thing to do! Affirmation is number one! (note to abel-not sarcastically okay)

Today i also got back the feedback for lesson plans and microteaching. This is all beginning to become very daunting for me. Got a pass for my TESOL one, i felt that i could have planned it all with more details but i was hung up on the fact that my technical knowledge of grammar, tense and the 'mysterious inner workings' of the english language were inadequate. Told my mom last night, for us as (almost) native speakers of english- we don't necessarily quote the rules of the language to correct a sentence. We just know that the sentence "sounds" wrong, but we can't tell you where exactly and why. I think that is my biggest challenge.

Today I also got pleasant feedback for my microteaching session. Highly Satisfactory. Nice sounding words. Essentially you've got to be enthusiastic when you're teaching something. Students pick up boredom fairly quickly. Today, when i woke up... i was also thinking about what pastor mentioned in his message about children- and about committing them to the Lord. And i immediately thought about my girls. In alot of ways i feel more like a spiritual mother today, more than 4-5 years ago when i had tonnes of girls under me. I feel that my girls are a gift from God, they are eager to learn... not just that, but sometimes are self-correcting, teachable, resilient, punctual, modest, brilliant note-takers, and lots more... Everything a 'mom' becomes blessed with.

I can't remember what else i was going to say about today.
Today today today.... is not over yet.

2 comments:

efarmer said...

Note to all girls in the zone: When Abel doesnt insult you for 5 mins, its a big sign of affirmation. HAHAHAHA.

Anonymous said...

im surprised that none of the feminists have taken up arms against you extremely oppressive notion that women are only worth complimenting for their looks if they comply to the sexist standards of well coiffed hair and dangling earrings. haha.